Friday, December 02, 2011

Christmas Time in NYC one year ago (Flashback Friday)

Happy December everyone! To help get in the holiday spirit I thought I'd do a little "flashback Friday" post about one a year ago when I spent 3 wonderful days in New York City with my Mom in early December. I never blogged about this trip because I was on a little blogging break.

We arrived Thursday night and went straight down to Rockefeller Plaza to see the Christmas tree. So pretty!


Then went to dinner at the Stardust Diner (sadly no pictures but it was so fun) and we then back to our hotel, the Sheraton Times Square, to rest up for the next couple of days.

Friday we got up early and went down to NBC studios


We both LOVE the Today Show so we hung out on the Today Show Plaza for a while and caught some glimpses of Ann Curry and Al Rocker!

Here's the world's blurriest picture of Ann Curry (she's in the long black coat).


Then we went around exploring New York at Christmas time. We popped into the lobbies of a tons of hotels and office buildings to see their amazing decorations.

This Hilton lobby had Christmas trees with ornaments made entirely of Chocolate!


Close-up


It's amazing how decked-out for Christmas NYC gets!

We also went to Magnolia Bakery that day... twice. Holy amazing cupcakes.

Friday nights we went to see the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall.


Such a great show! Seriously it's a "must-do" if you're ever in NYC around Christmas.


Saturday was our shopping day! We shopped all over town including the famous Macy's.



The we went to Christmas party at friend's Tribecca loft and finally to a Broadway show called "Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson." It isn't playing anymore, but it was great play. Very funny and avant-garde.

Here I am in the red red theater at Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson.


On Sunday we had great weather so we took a long walk across Central Park.


Central Park was so pretty on this crisp early-winter day.


The famous boathouse.


We ended the trip on a somber note and took a trip down to the World Trade Center site.

We went inside the Winter Garden to view the progress on the World Trade Center Memorial.


As you know, the memorial is complete now, but here's what we could see in December 2010.


I had never been to New York around Christmas time, so it was so fun see all the holiday chaos /fun and do my holiday shopping. I'd love to do it again some year!

Where is your favorite place to visit around Christmas time?

10 comments:

Sweet Simplicity said...

I would love to visit NYC at Christmas time! It would definitely get you in the holiday spirit.

Sarah said...

What a great looking trip! I've always wanted to go to NYC at Christmas time. I have to say that my favorite place to visit around Christmas time is Scotland, it's cold and festive and beautiful! : )

Ker said...

I looooove NYC at Christmas!! I am going there next Friday for a work event for the day - wish I could stay longer!

PS your Christmas card looked great! Impressed you got them out so early (I still need to order mine)- the black one with pictures from throughout the year was awesome!

DietCokeStraightUp said...

How awesome is that tree?? I went for the first time yesterday and it was just magical!

Jenn said...

Love the post! I'm headed there for the first time in a few weeks, thanks for the help on getting my plans started of where to go!

LWLH said...

We're going on the 17th and I am super excited. I've never been to NY and I love Christmas so this is my dream come true.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the Stardust diner! I happened upon it on my first trip and made my family go back on our next trip! I love your post! It makes me want to blog about my Christmas trip to NYC about 5 years ago. What a wonderful place during the holidays!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

NYC becomes such a different place during the holidays!!!! LOVE it! Glad you had a fun trip!

Brittney said...

I love NYC at Christmas! I'm dying to see the White House in all of the it's Christmas decorations too.

Betty said...

Your trip looks like it was wonderful! And I'm totally jealous that you got to see the Rockettes. I've always wanted to see them!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin