Monday, June 11, 2012

Adventures in the Windy City

Last weekend we spent three days in Chicago!

 

The trip had two purposes. 1) to help my grandma move out her old house. 2) to introduce The Mr. to Chicago since he'd never been there! 

We spent the first day packing up and cleaning out my grandma's old house. She lived in this house since 1951!

She's been living in an assisted-living retirement home for almost a year, so needless to say there was some pretty gross stuff to clean out. Like really old food. YUM!

That night we saw a comedy show at Second City (improv and sketch comedy). Second City has launched the careers of TONS of SNL stars. It was hilarious!

On day two we continued to clean out the house and pack up stuff to ship to CA for me and my parents.

That night we went with my parents to Greek Town to a Greek Islands restaurant for yummy Greek food.

The we drove around the city and saw University of Illinois Chicago where my dad went to college. Then we looked at the gorgeous city lights from the Adler Planetarium.


On the third day we took a massive tour of Chicago. We walked all around the loop.

We went up to the top of Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower)

They have this cool thing now where you can walk on these enclosed glass ledges. Pretty awesome and surprisingly thrilling.

My mom kept trying to take a picture of us with my iPhone, but kept failing. She finally got one and I just love the looks on our faces. Pure disgust.

Then we went over to Millennium Park.

I couldn't believe so many kids were playing in fountain! But there looked like they were having so much fun it was a blast to watch.

 Next we went over to THE BEAN! 

It's such a fun piece of interactive art.
 Then we walked around some more in Millennium park.

After that we took a quick taxi over to Navy Pier to walk around and get a drink. 

It was SUCH as pretty day.

We ended out tour with a water taxi from Navy Pier back to where our car was parked by Willis Tower. It was really fun to boat in the river.

Next time we go I want to go to more museums. We just didn't have time this time!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, that is a lot of excitement to fit into three days! We've been wanting to plan a trip to Chicago since my guy has never been. Second City is definitely on our list of things to do!

Anonymous said...

Just the picture of the glass ledge makes me want to pass out!!! : )

Classy Fab Sarah said...

I love Chicago so much, such an awesome city with so much to see. You guys sure fit a lot into a whirlwind weekend!

Also, your grandma's house is SO charming. So pretty.

Sweet Simplicity said...

Your grandma's house is adorable! I love Chicago and would love to explore the city with Ty. We have never been together.

Rachel @ Little Kitchen, Big Bites said...

You are a traveling machine lady! Looks like a fabulous adventure!

Ally said...

Looks like you had a great time. Next time we will have to meet up!

Renda said...

How fun is that. I adore Chicago. Not so much the smell of some parts of I just love the "big city" feel and so many things to do. You took GREAT pictures. What camera do you use ? THe colors are just amazing.

Jessica @ Wanting Adventure said...

It's nice that you could combine the work with the fun on the trip. I have only been to Chicago twice, once for college searching and once for Hubs to get a visa for France - and neither time included sight seeing! I want to go back and do some of those things.

michelle ellis said...

What a fun trip! I've never been to Chicago but it is on my list!

Jodi said...

Looks like fun. I did a lot of the same things when I went for the first time in April!

The Southbay Newlyweds said...

i really really want to visit that city!! gorgeous day!

Rachel said...

Her little home is so cute!! I bet you guys found some very interesting things in there!

I would love to see Second City. I've heard nothing but HILARIOUS things about them!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin