Friday, February 27, 2009

American Wife: My Review

I just finished Curtis Sittenfeld’s fictional novel, “American Wife.”

The story is fiction, but is based in many ways on the life of former First Lady Laura Bush. (It is supposedly based on Ann Gerhart’s 2004 biography, The Perfect Wife: The Life and Choices of Laura Bush.)

It chronicles the fictional life of bookish, naïve Alice Lindgren and the trajectory that lands her in the White House as first lady. Including a traumatizing car crash as teen, meeting her boyishly charming rake of a husband (Charlie Blackwell), her marriage, and journey to the white House.



Personally, I loved it! 5 stars! The first 2/3 of the book especially. Just a great story and amazing writing. It posed many provoking questions about marriage, loyalty, and responsibility.

As a Newlywed I can really relate to Alice’s never-ending love and loyalty to her husband, even when he screws up in his personal life and when most of America is against him. I guess no matter what, he’s always your Man.

I know its fiction, but I really made feel for Laura Bush. Laura Bush has never been super outspoken with the press, so she’s always had a kind of a mystery around her with some saying she’s elegant and professional, and others saying she’s a "Stepford wife". I can’t wait to read her actual memoir coming out in 2010 (I think). I will say after reading this book, I "googled" a lot for her to find out about the car crash she was actually in, her political views, and her relationship with George.

Did anyone else read this? Please share your thoughts! I’d love to discuss it with someone!


PS- I posted to my "She Just Got Married" Blog as well... totally different topic...check it out.

17 comments:

Shaina said...

I haven't read it, but it's definitely on my list! I have read - and LOVE! - Prep, also by Curtis Sittenfeld. If you haven't read Prep, definitely pick it up! It chronicles a relatively awkward girl at a fancy private prep school. Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

i'd never heard of this book, but i deeeefinitely want to read it now! thanks!

Linda said...

I've heard that Laura is one smart cookie. I'm definitely looking forward to reading her memoir.

Brittany Ann said...

I just started this yesterday, funnily enough. Glad to hear it was good!

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed this book, and like you, can't wait for Laura Bush's memoir to come out. Really a pleasurable read.

Lindsey said...

Oh my gosh, I NEED to read this!! I am captivated by Laura, she is so classy and elegant and a true woman who stands behind her man.

Emily said...

you write a good review... I want to read it now too:) looks great:)

Lucky in Love said...

That sounds like a great read! I'll have to check it out!

Seaside Prep said...

This book is definitely on my list of MUST READS. Thanks for the review, now, I might have to bump it up on the list. :)

Tina said...

I had never heard of this before. Off to check it out. Thanks for the review.

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering how it is! I saw it on the shelves and haven't read it yet. I would like to check it out!

Pink Pearls & Muddy Sneakers said...

OOOOO i can't wait to read it!

Christy said...

I would LOVE to read this book! I'm always looking for a great new book to read. Thanks for this post! ;)

Shoshanah said...

I've been wanting to read that. I love her book Prep. But another one of hers, I think it was called Man of My Dreams (maybe?) wasn't that great. I'll probably wait and buy this book once it's out in paperback though.

Sonya said...

I read it and loved it too! I couldn't put it down. I ended up buying the author's other 2 books to read too!

Lulu said...

I loved it too!!! I couldn't put the thing down! I also ended up seeing the movie "W" the week after I read the book... It was so crazy to see all the Bush ties in the story! I felt like I was watching the book on the big screen, kind of fun.

Hope you're having a great weekend!
xoxo,
Lulu

Amy said...

I really liked this book too. It made me think a lot--about the President and his family--a life he chooses and you have to follow. Right after I read it Jenna and Barbara wrote a letter to Sasha and Maliah Obama and read it on TV it made me cry.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin