Sunday, February 22, 2009

Irrelevant Academy Awards?

There are some writers, social critics, and news analysts out there saying that the Academy Awards are becoming increasingly irrelevant because the films featured are critically acclaimed but unpopular (for example, I think "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" has grossed as much as all of the best picture nominated films combined). Also because, in this downward economy, a bunch of stars drenched in diamonds and designers honoring each others seems hopelessly out of touch with actual America.

I'm sad to report that I've seen none of the best picture nominated films this year. I know, I know, I'm lame! But one of the places in our budget we've cut is seeing movies in theater. Instead wait until they come to Blockbuster.com.

I'm still watching the Academy Awards tonight. Why? The outfits.

The 81st Academy Awards -- meaningless or momentous?

9 comments:

Lucky in Love said...

I like them just for the outfits as well...haven't seen any of the movies either :) We're Netflix people!

My husband hates that stuff though...so I'll probably just look for stuff online tomorrow about it. Plus...it's SOOO long!

Jess said...

I enjoy the Oscars, even though I haven't seen any of the Best Picture nominations.

What bugs me is catagories like "Animated Short Film" or others that we've never heard of. They could cut the live broadcast down by a full hour if they'd keep those catagories out.

Allison said...

So it may have something to do with the fact that I live in Germany and have no cable television...but umm..I didn't even know the Oscars were on last nite :) ha!

I like seeing the dresses, but I can see those online the next day without having to sit through hours of self-absorbed actors give their politically charged left-wing speeches :)

Mrs. Not-so-Domesticated said...

I watch for the fashion...I haven't seen any of the nominated movies either.

Sassy Engineer said...

I also watch mainly for the dresses. I very rarely agree with the "critics" anyway. I too haven't seen any of the nominations because we also wait until they are out in Blockbuster. It doesn't take long these days!

Lindsey said...

I haven't seen any of the movies nominated either so don't feel bad! I want to see Slumdog Millionare now!!

Tara Gibson said...

I watch for the fashion, but I found this year's to be pretty entertaining

Aartee said...

Slumdog Millionare was awesome you should definitely check it out!

Anonymous said...

I hadn't seen any either, and also just watched for the dresses ;)

It isn't fun to watch them anymore, because all the wins are predicted (I read the Chicago Sun-Times and I think Ebert guessed them all correctly)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin